Chinese Appetizer Recipe - Egg Rolls
- ½ lb pork, shredded
- 1/2 cup Chinese dry mushrooms, soaked, shredded
- ½ cup bamboo shoots, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts, drain and dry well
- ½ cup dry Tofu, shredded
- 3 cup Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onion, cut into 1 inch in length
- 10 sheets Spring Roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil for frying the egg roll
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Heat the peanut oil in a large saucepan to very hot, add pork and stir-fry for 3 minutes, add mushrooms and bamboo shoots, stir fry for another minute, add cooking wine, soy sauce, sugar, and stir-fry in high temperature for 2 more minutes.
- Add Chinese cabbage, and stir-fry for 1 minute, add bean sprouts, mix well for 15 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the pan into a strainer set over a bowl to catch drippings, and set for 30 minutes to cool the mixture.
- Place 1 tablespoon of water with the beaten egg in a bowl for moisten the edge of the spring roll wrappers. Position the wrapper with one point towards you, place 2 tablespoons of filling mixture just below the center of the wrapper. Fold bottom point of wrapper over the filling, roll up the wrapper and filling until about 1 ½ inch left to the top of the wrapper. Moisten the 3 remaining points of the wrapper with the egg mixture, take the 2 side points and overlap toward the bottom center, bring the remaining free corner over an seal the moistened tip onto the roll.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying wok to boil, fry the egg rolls until golden brown, drain well on paper towels, and server with dipping sauce.
Timing:25 minutes to prepare the ingredients, and 40 minutes to make egg roll and cook. The filling mixture can be prepared a day earlier before serving.
Tips: When you roll the wrapper with filling, hold the filling firmly and push the filling toward you while you roll the corner of the wrapper away from you.