Chinese Appetizer Recipe - Sesame Seed Balls
- 1/2 lb. ground glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water, approx.
- 1 cup red bean paste
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 6 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- Boil the water, dissolve sugar in boiling water. Put rice flour in a large mixing bowl, stir the sugar water into the flour until flour is all damp. Mix and knead dough until soft and smooth.
- Roll the dough in the palms and break it into 8 small pieces. Roll each piece in the palms into a small ball. Cover with a damp towel to prevent them from drying.
- Take a ball of dough and press an indentation into it, make a deep cup. Pleace 1 teaspoon red bean paste filling inside the cup and close the cup with dough. Roll the filled ball to make it perfectly round. Then roll the ball in sesame seeds, gently press and roll until the surface is covered with the seeds. Continue to finish all the balls.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying wok over mediaum heat to 350 F degrees. Add 3-4 balls at a time to fry over medium heat. Turning the each ball by pressing them against the bottom or side of the pan with the back of a large ladle. Cook until the sesame seeds turn golden brown and the size of the ball blows up to about three times its original size (about 5 minutes). Drain the sesame balls on paper towels and serve warm.
Timing: 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients, 15 minutes to cook.
Tips: Already cooked sesame balls can be reheated in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes until thy puff up again.