Chinese Meat Recipe - Sichuan Ma Po Tofu
- 3 tablespoons salted (fermented) black beans
- ¼ lb. ground beef (or pork)
- 2 blocks of medium firm tofu, cut into ½ in. square cubes
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon chili bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Sichuan pepper
- 4 prigs of green onion, cut into ¼ in. lengths
- Boil water in a saucepan, drop tofu cubes for 1 minute, remove tofu cubes from boiling water and drain.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick wok, add beef (or pork) and salted black beans, stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, chili bean paste, salt, half of the green onion and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, soy sauce, chicken broth, simmer for 5 minutes. Then stir in cornstarch/water mixture to thicken the sauce. Add Sichuan pepper and sprinkle with the rest half of green onion. Serve hot.
Timing: 15 minutes to prepare the ingredients, 10 minutes to cook
Tips: Ground chicken or turkey can be used to substitute beef or pork.
Taste: Spicy, strong flavor.