Chinese Meat Recipe - Peking Duck
- 1 whole duck (5 – 6 lb.)
- Peking duck wrap
- 8 cups water
- 3-4 slices ginger
- 2 stems green onion
- 3 stems green onion, cut in 2’’ long
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Clean the duck, use towel to wipe dry and tie the neck with a string.
- Hang the duck in a cool, windy place to dry for 4 hours.
- Boil water in a large wok, add ginger, 2 stems green onion, honey, vinegar and cooking wine, bring to boil. Stir in cornstarch and water mixture to thicken the fluid.
- Place the duck in a large strainer above a larger bowl, scoop boiling mixture all over duck continuously for about 10 minutes.
- Hang the duck in a cool, windy place again to dry for another 5 –6 hours until thoroughly dry.
- Place the duck breast side up on a greased rack in the oven (preheated to 350 degrees) to roast for 30 minutes (set a pan filled with 2’’ of water in bottom of oven for drippings.)
- Turn the duck and roast another 30 minutes. Then turn the breast side up again and roast 10 more minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off crispy skin, remove the fat under the skin and then slice the meat out. Serve the meat and skin with hoisin sauce, green onion with Peking duck wrap
Timing: About 10 hour to prepare, 70 minutes to cook.