Chinese Appetizer Recipe - Chinese Thin Rice Noodle with Pork (Beef, Chicken)
Basic Ingredients (including seasoning):
- 2 1/2 lb. beef short ribs (with bone)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1'' cube fresh ginger, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch green onions, white parts smashed, green parts chopped
- 12 fresh cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 pieces (2'' long) dried tangerine peel
- 4 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried spicy red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb. Chinese dried noodles
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons Chinese pickled mustard green
- Mix 5 cups water, soy sauce, cooking wine, brown sugar, ginger, white parts of green onions, garlic, cilantro stems, tangerine peel, star anise, red pepper flakes in a cooking pot, bring to boil. Add short ribs, bring to boil, then simmer in low heat with cover on for 3 hours. Remove the pot from the stove, uncovered, let the meat stay in the cooking liquid and naturally cool down for about an hour.
- Boil 8 quarts water in another pot, add noodle and cook for about 7-10 minutes until the noodle is tender. Drain the noodle and divide the noodle into 4 large soup bowls.
- Use tongs to take the meat out from the liquid, discard bones and membranes, cut the meat across the grain into 1/2 in. thick slices.
- Pour the beef broth through a fine sieve into a saucepan and discard solids. Skim fat from the liquid, then add chicken broth and meat and reheat soup to boil. Ladle the broth to the large soup bowl with the noodle, top with beef slices, green onions, bean sprouts, pickled mustard greens, cilantro sprigs. Ready to serve.
Timing: 4 1/2 hours to prepare the ingredients and cook.
Tip: The beef broth can be prepared two or three days in advanced and keep it in the refrigerator.
Taste: Rich flavor.